Home :: forums :: contact
In The Beginning
Before The Doomsday book: 1086 (source)
At the very beginning, Yeadon was a slope with plentiful supplies of water, wood and good pasture for cattle. The Romans and Early Britons have left traces of their presence such as coins, rock marks and names of places.
Between 675 and 725 A.D., it is known that a Anglican Christian settlement was made in Airedale and other Norse settlements followed. When the Doomsday book was compiled, Rawdon, Horsforth & Yeadon were surveyed as Terra Regis - land owned by the King. No such individual town names existed at this point.
Yeadon consisted of two manors held for the king by two Saxons, Gamel and Glunier. Gamel and Glunier were two of the most important and no doubt respected people of Yeadon of the time; they were the Lords of the Manors.
The entire town of Yeadon boasted four carucates, taxable (large scale) land and two ploughs. All of this came to a annual tax value of 20 shillings (one pound). Then, the civilians had to split the tax sum and a certain amount was paid by every person no matter what they did or did not own. The people of Yeadon lived a life of bondage subject to the lords of the manors. They had no rights to property or freedom to leave the locality.
In this time, the whole of Yorkshire had a population of 7500 people and was still growing. St. Oswald’s Church in Guiseley, was built around 1150 and 1200. This church parish served Yeadon too. Most of the people in Yeadon were baptised and married there at this church. Below is a sample of the 1822 census.
Benj Hustler – Gentleman
Cornelius Appleyard – Sizing Boiler
John Barker – Shop Keeper
James Greenwood – Cloth Dresser
Edward Kenyon – Wool Stapler
William Saxon – Joiner
Catherine Theaker – Linen Draper
Richard Waugh – Clog & Pattern maker
John Yeadon – Geer & Slay Maker